Store That E14 Talks: The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of Long-Term Self-Storage
If you’re off on your travels or moving away for a while, it’s important that you store your belongings properly, in order to preserve them and keep them in the best condition possible for when you need them next. Our storage solutions in E14 offer the perfect long-term storage for all kinds of ventures, but here are some essential “do’s” and “don’ts” to keep your items in the best condition possible. DO…
- Ensure any valuables, antiques or delicate items are packaged properly. Preferably with bubble wrap, polystyrene or dustsheets to avoid damage.
- Make sure clothes are clean and dry before storage and place them in cloth bags or suitcases (not cardboard boxes!).
- Remove batteries from any electrical items, as leakage could ruin your devices while you’re away.
- Cover curtains and similar materials with a dust sheet. Store in a large, flat container to avoid creasing.
- Store heavier items at the bottom of your unit, with lighter items on top.
- Utilise all the space in your unit by making a plan of how you will arrange your items.
- Store unpackaged, fragile items next to each other, as they can break in transit.
- Forget items you’d store in the garden shed or garage, such as garden furniture. Just make sure these are clean and dry before going into storage.
- Pack anything that is dirty or wet as this can quickly lead to rotting.
- Store items you may need unexpectedly, such as house keys.
- Forget to label boxes so you can easily find and unpack items when you’re back.
- Stand furniture on their ends (e.g. sofas). This will put pressure on joints that weren’t built to withstand it, which can lead to damage.
When leaving your belongings in storage for a prolonged period of time, its essential that the units are safe and secure. Here at Store That Canary Wharf, we have 24-hour in-house security as well as round-the-clock CCTV surveillance, so you can have peace of mind knowing your belongings are secure while you’re away. All of our storage units in E14 are clean and dry and range from 20 to 150 sqft. We also have drive-up units for your convenience, as well as 155sqft sea containers if you need that extra space! Get in touch with one of our friendly members of staff today or pop in and visit us for more information.